Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Seven months to go....

We dropped Zach off at the hangar tonight to begin his 7-month deployment to the sandbox. This is actually the first time that I've been home when he's left for deployment. All the other times, I was deployed myself. So I don't think I was mentally ready for how hard it would be to say goodbye to him, especially since Daniel's in the picture now. That definitely makes it a thousand times harder, knowing how much Zach is going to miss. I'll try my best to take pictures and video, but it won't be the same, we know.

But I'm trying to look at the bright side. I had a boss once who said about deployment, "Once begun, half done." I always took that to mean that the anticipation leading up to the beginning of the separation is bad, but once the deployment begins, so does the countdown to homecoming. So here I am, marking down the days until Zach's home!

Here are some pictures from our last day together:




And some video of a silly Daniel:


4 comments:

MamaBearPing said...

My heart goes out to you. I know it's tough and there are no words to make it better. You guys are in our prayers.

Jean said...

once begun....I like that. I loved the video but I did notice that Zach swiped and did not "dab" Daniel's mouth. How soon they forget. I love you all. the card and letter were wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with that....it's always hard when they leave but I think the anticipation of it is the worst....once they are dropped off and the goodbyes are said then you at least have something to look forward to!

The Schoellkopf Family said...

Love the baby giggles in the second video- that is just the best sound in the world! We will be thinking of all 3 of you during Zach's deployment. I don't know who it will be worse for- you and Daniel or Zach. You are a strong bunch and we know you will all do great!