Monday, December 22, 2008

One year ago today...



Zach and I found out we were having a baby! And look at us now--proud parents of the cutest little guy around!

We were in Buffalo and Zach's cousin Deirdre had won a bunch of tickets to the Bills-Giants game a couple of days before Christmas. So we went with her and his brother Tom and the other cousins (Anna, Leah, Emily). It was a beautiful Buffalo winter day--33 degrees, drizzling rain, high winds. Everyone in the family pooled their clothing resources so Zach and I wouldn't freeze at the game, hence the non-matching layers in the picture above.

The game was pretty fun, but the weather was terrible and I started feeling sicker and sicker as the day went on. I just knew that I was getting strep throat, which is a pretty miserable feeling when you're on vacation. We all left the game at halftime and I went back to the hotel to cover up in layers of bedding to try and thaw out. Swallowing became almost impossible, so I called Zach's mom and said that I was going to go to the VA hospital to get some medicine.

Zach, Mary Ellen, and I headed over to the VA hospital and sat around in the ER for a little while before I was able to be seen. Sure enough, I had strep throat, so I mentioned to the doctor that we were trying to have a baby, and there was a very slight chance that I could be pregnant, so he had me take a test before prescribing me anything. As you might imagine, not that many people get pregnancy tests at VA hospitals (their usual clientele is mostly older men), so it took awhile.

The doctor called me in and told me the happy news. I went back out to the waiting room and had to wake Zach up (too much fun at the Bills game!) so that he and Mary Ellen could hear the news. And that's our "how we found out" story!

Fast forward one year: we have beautiful Daniel and Mary Ellen is now a nurse at that hospital. What a difference a year makes!

2 comments:

The Schoellkopf Family said...

I can't believe you made it through Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and more crazy cousin celebrations without letting on to the rest of us you knew!!!! Especially with all the babies around last year!

Owen said...

Great story!