Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Teething?

Daniel has been trying to suck and chew on many things lately--his fists, his blanket, his shirt, my thumb--pretty much everything except a pacifier. We're now up to five different kinds of pacifiers but this kid is being very stubborn. (I wonder where he gets that trait?) And because his thumb is usually tucked into his fist, he hasn't been able to find that yet either.

I doubt that he's getting teeth already, but I've been feeling around in there for any break-throughs. My mom said that I got my first tooth fairly late, around nine months. And according to Zach's baby book (thanks, Mary Ellen!), his first tooth arrived on 11/1/78, when he was almost six months old. So if history is any indicator, we won't have teeth for awhile, so I'm not sure what this new chewing/sucking activity is all about.

Daniel and I are both a little under the weather right now. I think it's just a little cold, nothing too much to worry about. But last night was very rough and this morning I had annual training for work, so I had to be there at 0645. Of course.

Daniel and one of his burp cloths:

2 comments:

~Kimberly said...

He has probably just discovered his mouth, and that he can put stuff in it! God help you if he is getting teeth this early. That is what ended Addison's breastfeeding era! OUCH!

Sarah Meitner said...

He probably IS teething. Babies can slobber (tons and tons of slobber) and chew on everything for MONTHS before you'll actually see a tooth. You could try teething rings, though neither of my kids actually liked or used them. Mostly, you just have to live with it. There will be a permanent sheen of slobber on your shoulder for a while!