Thursday, January 1, 2009

Quick Zach update

Zach has arrived safe and sound in Kuwait. He and about 25 people from his squadron left on Monday night and flew on United from Honolulu to Kuwait City, with several stops on the mainland. Zach said that United treated them very well, bumping him to first class on one of the legs and Economy Plus on another. United also let the whole group use the Red Carpet Club on one of their long layovers, so they were able to take showers and relax instead of spending hours trying to get comfortable in those terrible plastic seats at the gate.

The group arrived in Kuwait around 5 pm on December 31st. It was great timing because it means that he'll get his December pay tax-free since they got there on the last day of the month. (If Zach has to be gone, I'd rather he arrive at 5 pm on the last day of the month than 5 am on the first day of the month!)

No word yet on when they'll move to their base. Zach's part of the advanced party, going in before the rest of the squadron to set things up.

Thanks to everyone for all your prayers and support! We're doing fine here--we survived New Year's Eve in Hawaii, which means lots of illegal fireworks and smoke-filled neighborhoods and drunk drivers.

Happy New Year! Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

5 comments:

Deirdre Ziegler said...

Happy New Year!!! You and Dan are in our thoughts!
We love you both!
The Zieglers

~Kimberly said...

Thanks for the updates...less then 20 days for us. It's so true about the days leading up to deployment. They suck. See ya soon! Call if you need anything!

Lisa said...

I can't believe it's already 2009! No real (or illegal) fireworks here that we saw or heard - we had an unbelievable wind all day, so the official fireworks must have been cancelled.

I'll bet Daniel slept through most of it though. . . considering his affinity for loud and obnoxious based on the bowl game napping! :-)

Mrs. Campbell said...

Happy New Year!! I am so glad that Zach made it safely to Kuwait. Brad and I can't wait to see you and Daniel in a just a few weeks! Love you!

Lisa said...

I can't believe I forgot to comment last night on Zach's tax situation! What sort of tax accountant would I be if I didn't express my pride for you noting that silver lining to his deployment? :-) And he gave you Daniel as a little tax deduction, too! What a great guy!!

But, seriously, I was curious to know how it was going. I read that Air & Space article about him a few months ago. . . wow!