Thursday, January 29, 2009

San Diego

Daniel was definitely the hit of the weekend in San Diego! Layne, Dan, and I flew on the red-eye on Friday night and arrived at about 7:30 in the morning on Saturday. No rest for us because we had a fun family weekend ahead. My parents had already flown in, so they picked us up. Then my other sister, Lauren, arrived around 10:30; Aunt Earlyn, Uncle Verl, and Grandma Randolph arrived around 11:00. If you're wondering why we picked San Diego for a mini-reunion, it's because my uncle had a convention for his farm credit board there. It was too long of a trip for my grandma to get all the way to Hawaii, so we all met halfway between Hawaii and Kansas/Oklahoma. Confused yet? (Me, too.)

Trying to get some caffeine after the long flight:

In his new hat from Uncle Verl:

Checking himself out in the mirror with Grandpa:

Ready for a hug:

We had a great time, just hanging out at the hotel and doing a little sightseeing on Coronado. My grandma got to see my helicopter and my old house. And she really wanted a 4-generation picture, so we took one on the beach in front of the Hotel Del Coronado. Daniel was the center of attention the entire trip, which was a little weird for Layne, since she's used to being the baby. Just kidding, Layne!

Four generations of Randolph/Alexander/Rashman (my grandma was 30 when she had her first child, 60 when I was born, and 90 when Daniel was born):

Dan was a great baby, adjusting easily to hotel living. Zach always says that if we become billionaires, we're moving into a hotel. Movies on demand, ice cold air conditioning, maid service--does it get any better than that? So it's good to know that Daniel likes hotels just as much as we do. It was fun trying to give him a bath without his little tub. He really liked laying on his back in the water and kicking his feet as much as possible.

In the bathtub (yes, I need a pedicure):

With Aunt Lauren:

Itsy-bitsy spider with Aunt Layne:

San Diego has some great restaurants; my favorite one for breakfast is Richard Walker's Pancake House. It's right in the Gaslamp District and it is amazingly delicious. I ordered the German Apple Pancake, which is cooked in the oven and is about 4 inches tall when it comes to the table. It quickly deflated to normal size and it was awesome. I'll be dreaming of Richard Walker's for a long time!

Yep, I managed to polish off the whole thing:

Uncle Verl, Aunt Earlyn, and Grandma:

At the Yard House:

Fun on the playground:

Of course, I had to make time for some shopping, especially since I had so many hands to help out with the baby. Target was my first destination, followed closely by Anthropologie. I miss Fashion Valley Mall!

My little shopper:


(A big thank you to my friends Matt and Arlene for letting us borrow a car. Having nine people made it a little hard to get around but we made do with a rental van and their car!)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Looks chilly but fun! I forgot you had lived in San Diego and would know all the hot spots. I was watching Food Network on Sunday and almost emailed Lauren with a recommendation for the pizza place they were at, but figured you guys were already heading home.

Lisa said...

After a second endorsement of Richard Walker's (LHA), I just checked out their website and happily discovered their other two locations are in Illinois! I'll be trekking up to Schaumberg this summer for sure (or during my spring house hunting trip)!

Sarah Meitner said...

That photo of Dan with your dad -- one of Daniel with is arms out -- is just so precious. He's getting so big...the baby, I mean. :-)

Such a happy family!

Ladners'Latest said...

I love the itsy bitsy spider picture! And that is quite possibly the BIGGEST pancake I've ever seen!

Glad you guys had fun!