Saturday, January 31, 2009

My favorite sound

When I was little, my favorite sound was the ice cream truck coming down the street. That meant that it was a warm summer evening and it wasn't going to get dark until 9:30, so there was plenty of time left for more playing outside. And if I was lucky, my mom or dad would give me a couple of quarters and I'd have a delicious treat to fuel my adventures.

Later on, I loved the sound of a leather softball glove as it popped when I caught a hard throw from my Dad. And I loved the sound of pages turning in a good book, especially if it was cold and dreary outside. In middle school, I think I listened to the same Boyz II Men songs over and over, just imagining what would happen if my secret crush ever noticed me. When I was in high school, the phone ringing was always a good sound because it was usually a friend (maybe even a boy!) wanting to make plans.

But now, without a doubt, my favorite sound is Daniel's laughter. He has multiple laughs, from a deep belly laugh that sounds more like a little boy than a baby, to a cute little giggle when he's being tickled. Dan even has what sounds just like a courtesy laugh. He breaks that one out when I'm doing something silly but he's just not into it. He humors me by laughing a little, probably just so I'll stop whatever I'm doing.

Just try not to smile when you watch him laugh:

No comments: