Friday, September 11, 2009

Israel Day 2: The Dead Sea

After finishing our exercise for the day (sweaty hike up Masada), we headed back to Tel Aviv with a stop at a beach on the Dead Sea. What an amazing place! We changed into our swimsuits and headed down to the water, stopping at a mud hole to slather ourselves first. There are tons of expensive beauty products containing salt and mud from the Dead Sea, but this self-service spa was free of charge.

Kaley and I let the mud dry a little before hopping in to wash off, but Zach wasn't that patient. He headed straight for the shower to get really cleaned off. In the water, I stayed at about ankle-depth while I splashed the mud off, then I headed in deeper. It was one of the weirdest sensations I've ever had to be in a body of water where I could float. Actually, it wasn't even a choice to float--it was mandatory because when I was waist deep, my feet just floated up and out in front of me and it took a lot of effort to stay upright. So I stopped fighting it and just floated. The best part was rolling around, from front to back and back to front with very little effort. Swimming in regular salt water just won't be the same!



Apparently, Zach forgot that the camera has a zoom feature, but that really is Kaley and me, those little specks floating in the water:

No comments: