Sunday, June 14, 2009

Swimming at the Y

The YMCAs in the Wichita area are awesome! (And only a half mile from our house!) Think climbing walls, giant pools with waterslides, tons of classes, child care, etc. My parents have been members forever, so I signed up for a month-long pass while I'm home. I usually hit the treadmill in the mornings for 3-4 miles while my mom watches Dan (or we take him to the Kids Zone, but he went into meltdown mode there on Thursday and I got paged over the loudspeaker--not good!). After his afternoon nap, we go back to the Y for a little fun in the indoor pool. I'm kind of obsessed with keeping him out of the sun because he just soaks it up (even with 50 SPF on) and turns brown and then everyone asks me why my kid is so tan.

(Begin rant. HE'S NOT TAN, THAT'S JUST HIS SKIN COLOR! Rant over.)

So anyway, this buddy loves the water! He likes to crawl around and splash everywhere and get his head dunked and jump off the side into my arms. My dad came with us to the Y yesterday afternoon, so here are some pictures:





Not so happy with the colder water of the outdoor pool:


4 comments:

~Kimberly said...

How fun! Looks like you've got a little fish on your hands!

MamaBearPing said...

It is an awesome pool area. When I lived there during the deployment, we got a membership . . . and the kids loved the pool. Well, at least Mayah did. Elie was a little too young to have an opinion then, but she enjoyed the water too. Have a good time in KS!

Jean said...

does he really jump off the side into your arms? That's amazing. Zach was a perpetually tanned baby - even in the winter time. Can't wait to see you. Tell Dan Judy and Jerry have a pool ready and waiting.

Lesley said...

Jean--I don't know if he's technically "jumping" since he's not starting from a standing position. But he does lean forward from a sitting position until he falls into my arms, so that's close to jumping, right? And you tell Judy and Jerry that I require a pool that will not turn me into a popsicle so they need to get that baby warmed up.