Daniel and I would wake up around 7, then we'd eat breakfast (cereal and a delicious donut stick for me, banana for him) and take a long walk along the country roads. My mom was our personal trainer and she would make us sweat going up those big hills! Dan would just chill in his stroller while we got our workout in. When we got back to the house, it was usually morning naptime for him and shower time for me. Then we'd play and hang out until Unc came in for dinner at 12:30. (On the farm, dinner is the midday meal, the biggest one of the day, and supper is the evening meal, usually just sandwiches or leftovers.) My grandma would spend all morning cooking delicious meals, complete with awesome desserts, including rhubarb pie, my favorite! And a salad to her usually includes jello, Cool-Whip, and canned fruit, which is way better than lettuce and carrots, in my opinion.
After a big lunch, everyone would usually take a nap for at least an hour. Then it was time for more play, or a trip to the barn, or to the goats, or even to town (to buy a newspaper at the gas station). Jeopardy! came on at 4:00 and we all watched it together, even the buddy. Daniel usually ate his dinner around 5:30, then hit the bath, then was ready for bed. The grown-ups ate around 7:00 or whenever Unc took a break from baling hay. And of course we had to watch Wheel of Fortune at 6:30!
At night, we would play games--Scrabble, Chickenfoot (a game with dominoes), or Yap (a homemade version of Yahtzee). And of course we had to get in our nightly games of croquet in the yard, even though it was usually a losing battle if Unc was playing--he's just too good!
Life on the farm is pretty sweet. I like to think of myself as a city person, but I could definitely get used to country living--as long as I didn't actually have to do any of the work!
When we were growing up, the house was just the dome, with the garage on the left side. When my grandma moved in four years ago, they added on the wing to the right of the dome for her (and for the rest of the family), to include four more bedrooms, three bathrooms, an office, a dining room, and a basement:
Mom and Layne, earning their keep:
Daniel, playing with the Yap dice, Great Grandma's walker, and Unc's tractor:
Hanging with Great Grandma:
Getting into mischief:
Silly boy:
3 comments:
it sounds like a little bit of heaven. Can't wait to see you guys. I promise to try my hand at rhubarb pie.
What fun! I searched in vain for Jeopardy at 4 p.m. (and 5 p.m. to account for eastern time zone) the Friday I was in the hospital. I've since learned it's on at 7 p.m! What?! Will and I have caught a few episodes in the past 10 days though.
Wow! Sounds like some real relaxing and wonderful days! Good for you guys! We can't wait to get our hands on your guys. I can tell you right now we will be moving at slightly faster pace- haha :-)
Post a Comment