1996:


2009:
Everyone keeps asking me how I feel, being done with the Navy. It's kind of hard to explain. I'm definitely happy to be moving on, because I was never one of those people who wanted to make the military a career. I do have some great memories and I don't regret for a second going to the Naval Academy, or choosing to be a pilot, or any of the other decisions along the way. I never would have met Zach if our paths had not crossed that fateful day in flight school, that's for sure!
The Navy sent this Kansas girl to 20+ countries that I would probably not have seen otherwise and I've made friends along the way that I'll never forget. So, no regrets there. But I also have no regrets about choosing to leave because I know it's the right time. If I chose to stay in, my career path would have taken me out to sea next, and I could never leave Daniel for months at a time. Some people can do it, and it's worth it to them, but not to me. Everyone has to make their own choices, and this is the best one for our family. I don't know if I have what it takes to be a stay-at-home mom because that's a challenging career (unpaid and unappreciated, most of the time) in itself.
I just feel very lucky that Zach and I have planned and prepared for this, so I can stay at home, for now, without having to worry about finding another job right away. In the future, probably, but not right away! I'm looking forward to a life of soap operas and leisurely afternoons on the couch, curled up with a good book. Oh, wait, that's not how life will be with an 8-month-old? Maybe it's not too late to get back into uniform...
6 comments:
Congratulations!
congratulations
Congrats - very exciting.
It's the end of an era. I'm sure the mama biz will look good on you . . .
Congrats!!! I'm so proud of you and all that you've done.
Oh...and soaps? Please. There won't be time, my dear. You'll be too busy scoping out play dates and signing up for Mommy/baby yoga or something.
Lesley--I am so proud of you and all of your accomplishments. Especially your latest feat...becoming an amazing mother!! I love you!
Post a Comment