Sunday, October 23, 2011

Trunk-or-Treat

One of the hardest things about military life and moving so often is finding a new church home.  People who have been in the same church family all their lives don't understand how difficult it is to find a church with all the criteria: services at a convenient time, child care, a reasonable drive, and, most importantly, the right "feel" as far as philosophy, members, pastors, etc.  It's especially difficult here because we live in a somewhat isolated area (there are a lot of churches nearby, but most of them seem to be the hellfire-and-brimstone type, which is definitely not for me).  It took a little while, but I found St. Andrews On-the-Sound Episcopal Church in Wilmington.  It's a bit of a drive, but services are at a good time, the nursery is great, and I really like the priests and the people.

Tonight, we went to church for Trunk-or-Treat, an annual Halloween event where people decorate their trunks and hand out candy to the costumed little ones.  To start things off, Father Richard told a ghost story in the cemetery on the church grounds, but Dan and Ben weren't too into that.  They were more interested in walking/crawling on the low brick walls surrounding each family's plot in the cemetery.  Luckily for us, everything is pretty casual here so there were plenty of other little ones walking/climbing/playing too.  Then we walked around and got candy from everyone, bounced in the bouncy house (of course!) and played on the playground.  We had a great time!

My attempt at "spooky porch." I am sooo not creative, so this is actually pretty good for me! 





3 comments:

Lisa said...

Getting some good use out of the Halloween costumes! I am particularly impressed with your creativity efforts. And the trunk view has confirmed what I guessed on the last carseat picture; you're sporting new(er) wheels!

Lesley said...

No new car here, Lisa! The same 2005 Explorer that we bought when we moved here two years ago. Not fancy, but it gets the job done! (:

~Kimberly said...

I'm so impressed with your 'trunk'!!! LOVE IT! How fun! The boys look so cute in their costumes!