Danielle and I arrived on the same flight from Atlanta and Laura (who lives in Colorado Springs) picked us up from the airport. We met Sarah, Vicki, Christan, and Melanie at a Starbucks on the road since they had driven from Kansas. On Saturday night, we ate in, caught up, hot tubbed (everyone except me--boo!), and tried not to be too winded by the elevation. Going from sea level to 9600 feet is a little harder on a pregnant person, which probably shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.
On Sunday, I was the first one awake because I am genetically incapable of sleeping in. I walked down Main Street and just enjoyed the quiet alone time as I plotted my shopping stops for later on. In the afternoon, four of us indulged ourselves with manicures and pedicures, then we went back to the house (did I mention we rented a GORGEOUS house with a gourmet kitchen, steam shower, and a couch big enough for about 15 people?) and watched Shag, one of our favorites from high school. Well, everyone else watched Shag while I caught the tail end of the Masters. For dinner, we ate out at a great restaurant called Hearthstone.
Monday morning came too soon and I was wide awake at 6:30 again. So I headed out and found the best donut shop ever, Daylight Donuts. If you're ever in Breck, you must get a pine cone donut. I'm in withdrawal now. When I got back to the house, it was almost time for a massage. We scheduled a massage therapist to come to the house so four of us could pamper ourselves even more. I was a rubbery mess afterward, but it was worth it! Then we headed up the gondola to Peak 7, the lodge/restaurant/bar area right on one of the slopes. Ski season was almost over, but lots of people were still out on the slopes and it was painful to watch them, knowing that I couldn't join in. So I settled for a giant plate of nachos and more girl talk. Monday night, we ate in at the house and watched Dancing with the Stars. It's much more fun to watch that show with my girlfriends than with Zach, that's for sure.
Then on Tuesday, it was time to head home. I had a great time and my only regret is that it took us 15 years, post-high school, to plan a trip like this. It was so wonderful to catch up with everyone in person, to see what's changed and what's stayed exactly the same. I miss living close to such wonderful women who have known me for such a long time and have stuck with me through bad perms, braces, and stupid crushes (and that was just freshman year!). Thank you, Danielle, Sarah, Mel, Laura, Vicki, and Christan--I can't wait to get together again soon!
2 comments:
I had the best time with my girls from MHS! :) A trip to remember, that's for sure! Love you!
What fun! Good for you for having a "girls getaway" Looks like a lot of fun.
Post a Comment