Monday, July 20, 2009

Hawaii State Farm Fair

Yesterday, Daniel and I went to the Hawaii State Farm Fair at the Bishop Museum with my friend Kim and her son Richie. (Kim's husband is coming home with Zach, so we were looking for something to fill the time while we wait for them!) We went to the Fair not really knowing what to expect but it was a great time! There were tons of booths with fresh fruit and vegetables and prepared food--many of the same ones that are at the Saturday morning farmer's market that we love to go to.

In addition to the regular farmer's market stuff, there were booths with samples of local agriculture: milk, butter, eggs, beef, coffee, etc. Kim and I waited patiently in line for samples at every place that would hand them out! Dan and Richie loved the petting zoo where they got up close and personal with goats, sheep, a little pig, a very patient dog, and a bunny. Another tent had 4-H animals that had been shown and judged and auctioned (I feel bad for the pig that was bought by Alan Wong--I'm sure it'll be on the menu soon).

We had a fantastic time and the boys were very patient on a hot day. It's things like this that I'm going to miss most about Hawaii. Oh, I'm sure North Carolina will have farmer's markets, but probably not with pineapple, mochi, sushi, and lilikoi butter!

Good buddies:




No animals were hurt in the shooting of these pictures:


Dan would much rather hug the pig than hug his mommy:

(Many thanks to Kim for taking the pictures; I managed to delete mine off my new phone before downloading them. Oooops!)

3 comments:

~Kimberly said...

Fun! Looks like the boys had a great time!!!!

Jean said...

I am glad to hear that no animals were hurt. Were there fried green tomatoes? Miss you

Layne said...

I'm telling you, he's looking more like an Alexander! :)