Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Road Trip! (overnight with the Turners)

While Zach is away at SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape) school in Maine, the boys and I decided to take a little road trip to see old friends.  Well, I decided and they came along for the ride!  Last Tuesday, I packed enough stuff to fill the Explorer, actually remembered both kids, and we hit the road.  The boys are both very good in the car (in general), so we only had to stop a few times.  One of the times was in a tiny town with old gas stations (I just knew there would not be a changing table in the bathroom) and only diner-type restaurants (ditto), so I had the bright idea to stop at the town library.  Genius!  They had a nice bathroom where I could change both boys and then we just stayed and read a few books before piling back in the car.

After about six hours in the car, we reached our destination in Stafford, VA.  The Turners were with us in Hawaii and we hadn't seen them since we left over a year ago.  (Kim's blog is over on the right.)  They have four great kids so Dan had a ball playing with them and all of their toys.  They were fantastic hosts and Kim even gave me a bag of goodies to take on the road.  The chocolate chip cookies might have lasted five miles or so!  A few of our other Hawaii friends stopped by, too, so it was a little reunion of aloha.  All of their husbands are now in HMX-1, the squadron that flies the presidential helicopter.  It was great to catch up and see how much the kids are growing and changing.  Hopefully they can make it down to see us--when it's warmer and we can hit the beach, of course!

The only time I could get most of the kids in the picture was when Nick gave them a bath.  McKenzie (the oldest) stayed far away from this craziness and Ben was too little, but the others are all in there!
Dan, Trevor, Tyler, Addison




Next stop: Millersville, MD!


1 comment:

~Kimberly said...

We loved having you and you are ALL welcome back anytime... like you said, I've already got 4 kids... I hardly noticed a couple extra!